If you’re looking for a job, it’s important to interview the recruiter just as much as they interview you. After all, this is the person who will be helping you find your dream job! Below, we walk through some smart questions to ask a recruiter in order to get a better idea of what they do and how they can help you.
Questions to Ask When Hiring a Recruiter
Asking About the Basics
You should ask the basics because it will give you a foundation for the interview. These questions will help you understand what it is they actually do on a day-to-day basis.
- What types of positions do you recruit for?
- Are you focused in one particular niche?
- How long has your recruiting firm been servicing this niche?
- If you are looking for contract/temporary work, and will be employed by the recruiting firm directly, be sure to ask about the benefit package they offer.
Asking About the Process
This set of questions will help you understand how they work and what their process looks like. It’s important to ask these questions so you know what to expect during your job search.
- What is your process for finding candidates for open positions?
- How do you determine whether or not a candidate is a good fit for a role?
- Will I be charged a fee for your service in helping me find a job?
- Am I obligated to go on interviews for positions that I might not be interested in?
- How often should I expect to hear from you?
- How often would you like me to connect with you so you know I’m still looking for work?
Asking Questions About Your Experience
Finally, you’ll want to ask questions that are specific to your situation. This will help you get a better idea of how they can help you and your search for the perfect job.
- What do you think your process will look like for finding jobs for me?
- How do you know if a company is a good fit for me?
- Do you have any insider knowledge about a potential company’s culture or values?
- Do you have any tips to improve my current resume?
- Based on what you’ve seen so far, what kinds of positions do you think might be a good fit for me?
Questions to Ask While Job Hunting
After you’ve selected a recruiter to work with and they’ve begun finding you potential jobs, you’ll want to stay in contact. It’s important to stay involved in the process. This next set of questions will help you do just that.
While Finding Positions
Before you get the interview, you’ll want to ask your recruiter a few questions about the positions they’ve found for you. This will help you better understand each role and decide if it’s something you’re interested in.
- What kind of feedback have you been getting from employers about my resume?
- What do you think I can do to improve my chances of being hired?
- Are there any red flags on my resume that I should be aware of?
- Is there anything I can do to make myself a more attractive candidate?
- What is the timeline for this position? When will they be making a decision?
Before the Interview
After your recruiter has secured an interview, you’ll want to ask them a few questions to help you prepare. This is your chance to make a good impression, so you’ll want to be as prepared as possible.
- What can you tell me about the company?
- What is the interview process like?
- Who will I be meeting with and what are their titles?
- What kind of questions should I expect to be asked?
- Can you tell me a little bit more about the job?
- What are the primary responsibilities of the role?
- What kind of skills or experience is the company looking for?
- Do you think I’m a good fit for the role?
- What can I do to prepare for the interview?
After the Interview
After the big interview, make sure to follow up with your recruiter. This is a time where they’ll be asking you questions about the experience, but it’s an opportunity for you to ask questions as well.
- What do you think the next steps are?
- When can I expect to hear back from them?
- Is there anything else I can do to improve my chances of being hired?
- Do you think they’re interested in me?
- What do you think I could have done better in the interview?
After You’ve Been Hired
After you’ve been hired, your work with the recruiter isn’t quite done. You’ll want to stay in touch and ask them a few questions about the transition into your new role. By asking these questions, you’ll be able to get the most out of your new role and make a smooth transition into your new company.
- What do you think I should do to settle into my new role?
- Do you have any advice for me on how to acclimate to the new company culture?
- Is there anything I can do to make sure I’m successful in my new position?
- What are some common mistakes that people make when starting a new job?
- Do you have any advice on how to avoid those mistakes?
These are just a few questions to get started. Asking questions is a great way to show that you’re interested in the process and that you’re taking an active role in your job search. By asking these questions, you’ll be able to get the most out of your recruiter and find the perfect job for you. At JFC, we’re dedicated to finding the perfect recruiter for you. If you’re interested in getting in touch with one of our recruiters and finding your dream job today, you can contact us here.
We’re Here to Help
Start your Search Now
Contact a Recruiter